Yoga Philosophy 101
There is no prerequisite for this course, and no yoga experience required. All are welcome! (Yoga Teachers and advanced Yoga Practitioners please follow this link for our Yoga Philosophy 201 Course)
This program is for anyone interested in learning more about Yoga philosophy and how to incorporate it into their lives through Self awareness, positive thinking, healthy living, stress management, personal growth and empowerment. It offers a deep introduction into Yoga philosophy along with practical techniques in breathing, relaxation and meditation. Traditional yogic texts, including the Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads, will be explored along with appropriate modern texts. YogaLife emphasizes the “living of Yoga” and thereby brings personal transformation to those who are ready and willing.
Current participants include:
- Individuals looking to support their health and well-being, and perhaps are amidst a transition or stressful time of life.
- Beginner yoga students interested in learning more about the ancient wisdom of Yoga philosophy.
- Experienced yoga students who have not had exposure to Yoga Philosophy in their asana classes; or who seek more experience with breathing, relaxation and meditation practices.
- Yoga teachers who completed a 200 hour Teacher Training program but would like more personal understanding and integration of Yoga philosophy and Yoga practices outside of asana.
- Current teachers who seek a “refresher course” or inspiration for teaching their weekly classes. Philosophy themes will be shared via classroom discussion, and then embodied or integrated through the yoga practices.
- Holistic health care professionals who seek to bring the Philosophy, Psychology and therapeutic benefits of Yoga to their clients and groups
Currently, our Philosophy courses are being offered virtually through Zoom. You will receive 75-100 minutes of video prior to the scheduled meeting that will include the topic of the month, as well as practices that correspond with the topic (Yoga pose practice, pranayama, meditation, and relaxation). On the course date of your choice (see below) you will receive an invitation to a Zoom gathering for a one hour discussion. This has been an enriching experience for our participants during these unprecedented times. Two of our participants expressed, "Julie, I so enjoyed the call and conversation and the richness of the material this month. There is so much wisdom! I think you led the discussion beautifully and you created lots of space for contemplation and growth. " Jen C. and "There is so much wisdom in your videos. They provide a way for me to go back, re-watch, and learn new things. Things that I didn’t hear, understand, or now that I’ve grown and changed, have new meanings. I hope you continue to offer this! " Tom H.
When the time is right, and we can gather again at the studio, the program includes a monthly 2 hour seminar, from 10:30am-12:30pm, you will have the choice of attending on a Saturday or Thursday morning. While we will not be focusing on the teaching or alignment of yoga postures, the seminar does include 5-10 minutes of self guided yoga practice, in order to encourage the development of a home practice, as well as learn how to integrate intentions and themes into physical asana.
No prior experience with Yoga is needed. Wear comfortable clothing for movement, bring a journal and pen, and wear clothing layers appropriate for varying temperatures.
Saturday, October 17; Sunday October 18; or Thursday, October 22nd
Thursday, November 19; Saturday, November 21; or Sunday, November 22 (Please note that Thursday is earlier in November due to Thanksgiving)
Saturday, December 12; Sunday, December 13; or Thursday, December 17
- Ongoing Enrollment: You may join this program any month. The curriculum is not linear but covers a year of Yoga Philosophy topics. Each seminar stands on its own, but taking a year of programming will provide a well-rounded exposure to Yoga Philosophy and its practices, and is required if you want to move on to Yoga Philosophy 201.
- Drop-in: $55 per seminar. Make payment via paypal on website prior to attendance, or bring check/cash with you. These are non-refundable and will expire after one year. Because this attendance option is flexible, Julie would appreciate knowing in advance when you plan to attend.
- 3 pack--Seasonal = $150 for three seminars used any time. These are non-refundable and will expire after one year. You may purchase another pack at any time. Because this attendance option is flexible, Julie would appreciate knowing in advance when you plan to attend.
- Yearly commitment: $45/seminar, auto-withdrawal through paypal. (This is a required commitment if you want to move on to Yoga Philosophy 201.)
To purchase via the website, please choose your option below:
$45/seminar, 12 month auto-withdrawal through paypal.
(This is a required commitment if you want to move on to Yoga Philosophy 201).
$150 for three seminars used any time within a 12 month period. These are non-refundable and will expire after one year. You may purchase another pack at any time. Because this attendance option is flexible, Julie would appreciate knowing in advance when you plan to attend.
$55 per seminar.
Thursday September 24, 10:30-11:30AM: